Definition: Identify and understand another person's situation, feelings, and motives; recognize others’ concerns and needs.
Relates to: Tell Stories. Create Experiences
- Read more literature, which improves “theory of mind” (cognitive empathy).
- Be a mirror, develop active listening skills.
- Question the golden rule and instead “treat others the way they want to be treated.”
- Turn the table, imagine yourself in the other person’s place.
- Use these 3 phrases (but only if they are true): 1) I get it; 2) That makes sense; and 3) Of course you feel that way.
- See out a mentor or peer who can provide feedback on how you present as empathetic.