Definition: Translate numerical and qualitative information into visual form for rapid comprehension and comparison.
Relates to: Generate Data-Driven Insight
- To become proficient visual thinkers it is important to recognize the patterns that surround us on a daily basis.
- Develop your visual literacy:
• See the world as a child – observe, questions and explore
• Commit thoughts to memory with simple pictures versus words
• Develop visual stories
- Build your visual library of tools and models to visually present ideas whether in PowerPoint or other formats.
• Seek out cases and examples of complex ideas visually presented
• Take a course in data visualization
• Tell your data story verbally and then see if the visuals match
• Try to avoid the use of data tables
David N. Hyerle, Visual Tools for Transforming Information Into Knowledge (Thousand Oaks: Corwin Press, 2008), 192.