Definition: Create and convey a clear vision, express ideas fluently and coherently
Relates to: Generate Data-Driven Insight
- Vary the modulation of your voice to keep listeners interested and to emphasis key points.
- Project your voice so that people 15 – 20 feet away can clearly understand you.
- Pause before and after words or phrases you want to emphasize.
- Vary the length of your sentences.
- Understand how your voice makes you feel by recording and listening to your voice. Ask others for feedback and practice modulation and inflection.
- Portray confidence and self-assurance; believe in what you are saying.
- Use the vocabulary level as your audience.
- Have a natural flow to your speech by timing your high, low, long, and short pitches.
- If using slides, keep them simple - focus should be on you as the speaker. Make sure you can convey the key value to the listener in the first minute (why should they care).