FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Chicago (January 6, 2021) — The Society for Health Care Strategy & Market Development (SHSMD) of the American Hospital Association (AHA) today released Futurescan 2021-2026: Health Care Trends and Implications, a highly respected report developed jointly with the American College of Healthcare Executives (ACHE).
Futurescan includes an introduction by renowned health care futurist Ian Morrison, Ph.D., and articles featuring the insights of thought leaders in the field on the following topics, as viewed through the lens of COVID-19:
- Social Determinants: Why Social Health Is as Important as Physical and Mental Health, with Bechara Choucair, M.D., senior vice president and chief health officer, Kaiser Permanente.
- Societal Violence: Health Care Organizations’ Role in Combating Societal Violence, with Michael Levas, M.D., assistant medical director, Project Ujima, Children’s Wisconsin Health System.
- Consolidation: A Network Response to the COVID-19 Pandemic, with Robert C. Garrett, CEO, Hackensack Meridian Health.
- Finance: Value-Driven Outcomes: Where Quality Meets Cost Efficiency, with Robert C. Pendleton, M.D., chief medical quality officer, University of Utah Health.
- Culture Change: Creating a Culture of Disruption, Change and Innovation, with Nancy M. Schlichting, former president, CEO, Henry Ford Health System.
- Consumerism: Navigating the New Age of Consumerism After COVID-19, with Jane Sarasohn-Kahn, health economist and author.
- Technology: Artificial Intelligence: Tools for Transforming Care, with Michael Howell, M.D., chief clinical strategist, Google Health.
- Investment: The Role of Private Equity in Health Care Innovation, with Joseph R. Swedish, cofounder and partner, Concord Health Partners and former chairman, president and CEO, Anthem Inc.
“Futurescan explores key trends that are having an unprecedented impact on the health care field,” said SHSMD Board President Holly Sullivan, the senior director of strategic marketing for Spectrum Health. “It also includes expert guidance on action steps hospitals and health systems can take to be prepared for the implications of these trends on their organizations. For Spectrum Health, it is a valuable and insightful resource for us as we plan for the future.”
Together with the AHA’s 2021 Environmental Scan highlighting data and information on the current landscape, Futurescan is an important resource to help planners, leaders, physicians and trustees be ready for what’s ahead and position their organizations for success. More on the future of health care can be viewed in AHA’s Transformation Talks.
According to ACHE President and CEO Deborah J. Bowen, “Futurescan examines forces of change all providers need to understand to advance effective and efficient health care in their communities.”
For more information, visit SHSMD.org/futurescan.
About the Society for Health Care Strategy & Market Development
The Society for Health Care Strategy & Market Development (SHSMD) of the American Hospital
Association is the largest and most prominent voice for health care strategists in marketing, strategic planning, business development, communications and public relations. SHSMD is committed to leading, connecting, and serving its members to prepare them for the future with greater knowledge and opportunity as their organizations strive to improve the health of their communities. The society provides a broad and constantly updated array of resources, services, experiences and connections. For more information, visit shsmd.org.
About the American College of Healthcare Executives
The American College of Healthcare Executives (ACHE) is an international professional society of more than 48,000 healthcare executives who lead hospitals, healthcare systems and other healthcare organizations. ACHE's mission is to advance its members and healthcare management excellence. ACHE offers its prestigious FACHE® credential, signifying board certification in healthcare management. ACHE's established network of 77 chapters provides access to networking, education and career development at the local level. In addition to Journal of Healthcare Management and Frontiers of Health Services Management, ACHE is known for its magazine, Healthcare Executive, and its career development and public policy programs. Through such efforts, ACHE works toward its vision of being the preeminent professional society for leaders dedicated to improving health.
The Foundation of the American College of Healthcare Executives was established to further advance healthcare management excellence through education and research. The Foundation of ACHE is known for its educational programs—including the annual Congress on Healthcare Leadership, which draws more than 4,000 participants—and groundbreaking research. Its publishing division, Health Administration Press, is one of the largest publishers of books and journals on health services management, including textbooks for college and university courses. For more information, visit ache.org.
About the AHA
The American Hospital Association (AHA) is a not-for-profit association of health care provider organizations and individuals that are committed to the health improvement of their communities. The AHA advocates on behalf of our nearly 5,000 member hospitals, health systems and other health care organizations, our clinician partners – including more than 270,000 affiliated physicians, 2 million nurses and other caregivers – and the 43,000 health care leaders who belong to our professional membership groups. Founded in 1898, the AHA provides insight and education for health care leaders and is a source of information on health care issues and trends. For more information, visit the AHA website at aha.org.